It’s that time of the year again! Hot chocolate, warm fires, and sweet cuddles with loved ones. But wait….are you still using instant hot chocolate from a box? Here’s something so much better!
“Perfectly Chocolate” Hot Cocoa Recipe
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups (1 qt.) milk (I use Silk PureCoconut to make this Dairy-free!)
- 1/3 cup hot water
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Miniature marshmallows or sweetened whipped cream (optional)
1. Stir together sugar, cocoa and salt in medium saucepan; stir in water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil and stir 2 minutes. Add milk; stirring constantly, heat to serving temperature. Do Not Boil.
2. Remove from heat; add vanilla. Beat with whisk until foamy. Serve topped with marshmallows or whipped cream, if desired. Makes 5 servings
VARIATIONS: Add one of the following with the vanilla extract:
- SPICED COCOA: 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg. Serve with cinnamon stick.
- MINT COCOA: 3 tablespoons crushed hard peppermint candy OR 2 to 3 tablespoons white creme de menthe. Serve with a candy cane.
- COCOA AU LAIT: Omit marshmallows or whipped cream. Spoon 2 tablespoons softened vanilla ice cream on top of each cup of cocoa at serving time.
MICROWAVE SINGLE SERVING: Combine 1 heaping teaspoon HERSHEY’S Cocoa, 2 heaping teaspoons sugar and dash salt in microwave-safe cup or mug. Add 2 teaspoons cold milk; stir until smooth. Fill cup with milk. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until hot. Stir to blend; enjoy!