Happy Earth Day!! We all know how important it is to take care of our environment not just for us but for our children and grandchildren and their grandchildren. The phrase “earth day everyday” is such a great reminder that we have to instill a feeling of responsibility for the earth in our children, so here’s a great roundup of activities that doesn’t just do one thing to improve the environment, but when done repeatedly over time it becomes a habit and really creates a foundation for your children to build upon and grow to be environmentally conscious people. So pick out a few of your favorite earth day activities and have a great day!
Earth Day Activities:
- Plant a tree! (one of the most obvious ones)
- Set up a recycling station in your home and talk about how to tell what can and can’t be recycled.
- Plan out (and start planting) your family vegetable garden.
- Keep garbage bags in the car and go on a “litter scavenger hunt” before you leave any park.
- Read the Dr Seuss book, The Lorax and discuss what the Onceler should have done differently. Write down a plan for what you could do to start fixing the environment if that story was true.
- Explain what a carbon footprint is in a way that kids will understand. Livestrong.com has a great link HERE.
- Make a plan for how to start reducing your family’s carbon footprint.
Earth Day Crafts:
Make an Earth Day Glyph like the ones at SweetTeaClassroom.com
Create a “Sticky Paper Earth” like they did at Frogs & Snails & Puppy Dog Tails and talk about what makes up the earth. Stress the importance of keeping our waters clean when they (inevitably) notice how much blue is on our planet.
Stop by Modern Parents Messy kids and make these amazing plantable paper earths with flower seeds inside! (This is the coolest thing EVER!)
Make Earth Day Discovery Bottles with your little ones like they did at Teach Preschool.
Repurpose materials to make crafts like at Spoonful!
Whatever you decide to do to celebrate Earth Day with you family, we hope you have such a wonderful day honoring our planet that you’re inspired to continue throughout the year. Happy Earth Day!